I Found the Winners Early. Then I Let Them Go.
There is a peculiar kind of regret that only investors understand. It is not the regret of buying the wrong stock. It is the regret of buying the right stock and selling it too soon.
I have lived that regret. Five times. With five companies that I identified early, believed in, and then abandoned before they could reward me with the kind of compounding that changes portfolios.
List of companies (these are not a recommendation since I have already sold them many year ago)
Polyplex, CCL Products, KPIT, Deepak Fertilizers, Solar Industries.
I sold them for 1x. two of them at 2x , one at 3x and rest at 0.5x.
Today, each of them sits between 6x and 15x from my original entry points.
I did not stumble into these stocks. I found them through a framework which I still believe in: the theory of industrial changes. I was looking for structural shifts new demand cycles, export opportunities, technological transitions, policy shifts. The idea was simple: identify industries undergoing transformation, find the companies best positioned to capture that transformation, and buy before the crowd catches on.
Looking back, my exits were not driven by deteriorating fundamentals. They were driven by impatience, greed to book the profit.
What I failed to appreciate was the nature of compounding itself. Compounding does not work on a schedule. It does not reward you in linear monthly installments. It arrives in lumpy, unpredictable bursts often after long periods of stagnation where the weak hands exit and the patient capital accumulates.
I was the weak hand. In five different stocks. Five different industries. Five different timelines. Same mistake.
The Math of Missed Compounding
If I had held these positions to their current multiples, my portfolio's trajectory would look radically different.
This is not about hindsight. It is about recognizing a pattern: I was good at finding asymmetric bets, but terrible at letting asymmetry play out.
A 2x return feels satisfying in the moment. But when the same capital could have become 10x, that 2x is not a win. It is an expensive opportunity cost.
Rebuilding the Framework: What Changed
This learning came with a price. But I have tried to make sure it was tuition, not a permanent loss.
My framework for reviewing companies has changed in three specific ways:
Earlier, I conflated a falling stock price with a broken thesis. Now, I explicitly distinguish between:
- Market downcycles (sentiment, liquidity, macro fear) - these are usually noise
- Industry downcycles (temporary demand slowdown, input cost spikes, margins) - these may be buying opportunities
- Company-specific deterioration (market share loss, balance sheet stress, management misallocation)
- Reviewing my own Behavior, Not Just Balance Sheets -Markets test your patience more than your intelligence. I now track my patience like a metric.
To each of these five companies, I owe a debt of gratitude to teach me these lessons.
The Hard Truth About Compounding
Compounding is not just a mathematical force. It is a behavioral test.
It demands that you do nothing when doing nothing feels wrong. It rewards the investor who can tolerate boredom, doubt, and overcome behavior someone else is making money faster elsewhere.
I failed that test five times. Publicly. Expensively.
But I am writing this down so that the sixth time, I remember: the biggest risk in investing is not being wrong. It is being right and not staying long enough to prove it.
No comments:
Post a Comment